What is Move for Mercy Corps?
The challenge is straightforward: walk, run, cycle or even swim 154km this June, and raise £154 whilst you’re at it.
At Mercy Corps, we support thousands of refugees to find their own way forward every day.
We’re with them on their journey, whether that journey begins from Ukraine, Syria, Yemen, Ethiopia or other parts of the world affected by conflict.
Your journey will help us to raise vital funds, so we can continue to support those on their journey.
154km is the distance from Damascus, Syria to Za’atari Refugee Camp, Jordan on foot. This is a journey many Syrian families have had to make to flee their homes and find safety in neighbouring countries.
When does the event start?
Move for Mercy Corps starts on 1st June 2022 and you are welcome to start your challenge anytime during June. Don’t worry if you start at the end of June, you can continue your challenge right through to the end of July.
Can I take part as a team?
Yes! You're more than welcome to take part with friends, family or colleagues. When setting-up your fundraising page, you will have the option to create an individual page or a team page. You can divide the distance between your team, or each take on the 154km.
Find out how to track your distance in the 'How can I track my kilometres?' question.
What is the fundraising target?
We are asking all participants to match their distance and fundraise £154.
How can I track my kilometres?
Your profile page includes your personal distance tally so you can track your distance towards your target. This is a great way to keep your friends updated on your workouts!
If you track your workouts with Fitbit, Strava, MapMyFitness or Garmin your distances will automatically add to your tally.
Follow these steps to track your KMs automatically:
2. Log in to your Move for Mercy Corps account.
3. Under the heading Connect your preferred Fitness app, click your chosen app.
4. Follow the prompts to connect your account
5. When you next work out, select start your workout in the app on your phone. Once you end your workout, save your workout and your distance will be published to the tally on your page the following day.
If you have synced your app already but it is not working, please log in and re-connect it.
- Fitbit: You must start an activity and save it. If no activity is logged, then your cumulative activity will sync at the end of the day. If you are having issues, try syncing through BOTH your Fitbit and the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
- MapMyFitness: You must start your workout, stop your workout and then SAVE your workout.
- Strava: You must start your workout, stop your workout and then SAVE your workout.
- Garmin: You must start your workout, stop your workout and then SAVE your workout.
Your tally will be updated each day with the previous day’s distances.
Manually adding activity
Remember, you can manually add your exercise to the tally in the My Fitness Activity tab within your logged in dashboard. This is a great option if you’re using a pedometer or a different method of tracking your distances.
Follow these steps to manually add your activity:
1. Log in to your account and select My Fitness Activity.
2. Under Add activity, enter the required fields. Depending on the challenge this may be steps, distance and/duration.
3. The logged activity will now appear on your fundraising page!
Can I fundraise offline?
We recommend that you only fundraise through virtual platforms and in this instance your donation page.
How do I get started with fundraising?
We are here to support you reach your target. When you register for the event, you will create a fundraising page that you can share with friends and family to ask for donations and we’ll be sending you lots of tips and tricks on fundraising after you register. You can also head to our Resources page to get your downloadable toolkit.
How do I remain COVID-19 safe and responsible during the challenge?
It is important that you stay up to date and follow the UK Government guidance, including from devolved nations of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland when undergoing your challenge.
How will my fundraising/donation be used?
The money raised from Move for Mercy Corps will support our work to create a future where everyone can prosper. The distance from Damascus to Za’atari is just one journey that refugees around the world have to make to find safety. To learn more, click here.